Sarawak to get ‘mobile court’

The mobile court will be introduced in Sarawak this year after the system proved successful in Sabah.

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz said today that the mobile court was expected to operate in Sarawak in three or four months, with areas requiring its service now being identified.

A bus would be renovated to serve as a courtroom, he told reporters after the handing over of the new RM8.25 million Samarahan court building.

Earlier in his speech, Mohamed Nazri said the service was introduced on March 15 in Donggongon, Penampang, Sabah, using a renovated bus.

“Sixteen cases were heard and five cases were closed that day,” he said, adding that the officers involved were the magistrate, interpreter and police.

Mohamed Nazri said the mobile court was convenient to residents of rural areas required to attend hearings as it saves them the usually long trip to town, he added.

– Bernama