The Ministry of Works has defended the delay in implementing the upgrading of the RM115-million Pujut-Tudan-Kuala Baram road in Miri City as it needs to conduct an in-depth survey before the project can take off.
Furious with what he claims to be baseless accusations hurled by the opposition, Minister of Works Shaziman Mansor said when it came to infrastructure projects it was not as easy as buying “fish at the market.”
“We never negated our promise, the contractor has been appointed by the government to undertake the project and now has started upgrading work,” he told reporters after visiting Sungai Pandaruan on Monday.
Shaziman said even though the announcement to upgrade the 13km-long road was made on Oct 4 last year, the letter of appointment was only given to the contractor last month.
Pekerjaan Piasau Konkerit Sendirian Berhad (PPKSB) has been appointed as the contractor for the project.
He said the project involved upgrading the existing single carriageway to a dual-carriageway including the extension of a bridge, with completion expected to be within two-years.
Last month Sarawak Deputy Chief Minister Dr George Chan was reported as saying that the upgrading project would be completed by April 2013.
Once completed it is expected to ease traffic congestion in the area where more than 30,000 houses are located.