Some 200 parents gathered at Dataran Petaling Jaya to sign the Parent’s Charter seeking the reinstatement of PPSMI, the Malay acronym for the teaching of Sains and Mathematics in the English Language.
Many of them have come from as far as Penang, Melaka, Johore and Sabah and have pledge to form a Coalition called Association of Parents for Reforming Education (ASPIRE) to engage and pressure the government into reinstating PPSMI.
Present at this morning’s gathering are:
1. Concerned Parents for Selangor and Kuala Lumpur (CPS) headed by Shamsudin Hami
2. Parent Action Group for Education (PAGE) led by Datin Azimah
3. Malacca Action Group of Parents (MAGPIE)
4. Herald of Penang Education (HOPE)
5. Subang Jaya Assemblyman YB Hannah Yeoh
6. Kelana Jaya MP, Loh Gwo-Burne
We spoke to some concerned parents on why they are out of their comfort zone to be at this morning’s gathering.
Related video: PPSMI: Malaysian education system in turmoil http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJNGmv-Xp2k
Video by KSTan, Citizen Journalist