Penang Hill traders looking to resume business

Photo by Wan Leonard

Eleven traders today submitted a memorandum to Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng asking to be allowed to resume their business at the Penang Hill railway base station compound.

Hon Beng Hong, 40, a representative of the traders, said they wanted the state government to fulfil its promise of giving them stalls after the upgrading of the railway last April.

“We have not been doing any business for the past two years during the upgrading. All of us traders were promised new-look and more convenient stalls once the upgrading has been completed.

“However, until today, we have not been allowed to do business there. It is most disappointing that many illegal traders are doing business outside the station unimpeded,” he told reporters after handing over the memorandum at the State Assembly premises, here.

The chief minister’s political secretary, Ng Wei Aik, received the memorandum on behalf of Lim.

Another trader, Kamariah Mohamad, 57, said she had been selling snacks at one of the stalls at the station compound for about 20 years and expressed the hope of getting back to business as soon as possible.

“I have not been doing any business for two years and have been depending on my husband’s pension to support the family,” said the mother of five.

Meanwhile, Lim, who is the state assemblyman for Air Putih, said at another news conference that a meeting would be held next Wednesday to resolve the matter.

- Bernama