Last weekend, Malaysia first ever ‘Non-Profit Charity Organizations Expo 2012’ took place in Sutera Mall, Johor Bahru.
Themed ‘Love Our Community’, the 3-day expo saw thirty charity organisations came under one roof to showcase their respective community services.
Organizing chairperson Joshua Ng, explained how they first thought of organising such a unique exhibition.
People have heard of PC Fair, MATTA Fair or Furniture Fair, so why not a charity organization fair, he said.
Since this is their maiden fair, Joshua commented that overall, the expo was a huge success because they have successfully gathered thirty little known non-profit charity organizations to participate in the expo.
“It is quite common when people are faced with an emergency, many do not really know where to seek for professional counseling or help,” added Joshua.
He told Citizen Journalists Malaysia (CJMY) that, their main objective of organising this expo is to provide a platform to assist these little known charitable organizations to promote greater public awareness of their existence, the roles and services that are available to the community at large.
He said that the total cost for the 3-day expo came to about RM50,000 where Sutera Mall management had graciously offered the exhibition venue for free and Oliven Education had generously donated RM30,000.
The bulk of the money goes to printing materials, renting of PA system and exhibition booths and there is still a shortfall of RM20,000 to balance the expenses, added Joshua.
The thirty Non-Profit Charity organizations that took part in the 3-day Expo include:
1) Grace Covenant Community Care
2) Persaturan Kebajikan Barkat JB
3) Calvary Victory Centre (Tel: 07 556 3311)
4) Calvary Miracle Centre
5) Double Blessing Centre for Disabled (Tel: 07 511 1740)
6) Persatuan Orang Pekak (Tel: 012 752 2150)
7) Johor Cheshire Home (07 237 1335)
8) Persatuan Kebajikan Damai Sejahatera JB
9) Bethany Rehabilitation Centre, Batu Pahat
10) Gamblers Rehab Centre Kluang (017 238 1900)
11) Persatuan Kebajikan Bekas Penagih
12) Persatuan Penjagaan Komuniti Agape (07 222 9513)
13) Jeremaih Welfare Charity Society JB
14) Peace Boys Centre
15) Kang Le Boys Centre (014 988 5969)
16) Persatuan Kebajikan Rumah Memperbaharui JB
17) Wan Min Community Service
18) Agape Counseling Centre (JB)
19) Persatuan Sosial U Turn
20) Sempurna Community Services (Kluang)
21) Eden Community Services (Kluang)
22) City Care-Youth
23) Persatuan Hospice Ark
24) Persatuan Kebajikan Amal Le Xin
25) Good Shepherd Care Centre (012 226 8676)
26) Realm of Tranquility (02 6469 3843)
27) Persatuan Pegajian Yuan Man, JB
28) Heart Care
Video by: Christine Leong, Citizen Journalists Malaysia