The Bar Council Constitutional Law Committee (BCCLC) is at it again. As part of the MyConstitution Campaign which has given us the Rakyat Guides and Rakyat Service Ads on elections, now comes Rock 4 Rights! Despite the questionable literacy of the title, it promises a rawkin good time!
Mark your calendars for April 2, 2011, when the MyConstitution Campaign climaxes at Rock 4 Rights at Fort Cornwallis, Penang.
Look out there too for the music album called Radio Demokratika which contains 12 original songs written and performed by 12 local indie bands, each a message on human rights, democracy and constitutionalism. They actually sound better than they read!
Radio Demokratika is sold at all Rock Corner and Victoria Music Centre outlets* in the Klang Valley for RM29.90 per CD
All you need to know:
1. Rock 4 Rights will carry on for 12–hours, non-stop! 12pm to 12am, give or take a few days.
2. It’s organised by the BCCLC in partnership with Frinjan and Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia (SABM) and supported by Yes. Malaysiakini is the official online media partner for this event. The event is also endorsed by the Penang State Government.
3. A total of 18 bands will perform! A combination of bands from the Radio Demokratika album, the Bangkit album (produced by SABM), Frinjan and others.
4. There will be arts performances!
5. As well as a variety of food and beverage stalls, arts and crafts stalls, a counter for festival memorabilia, CDs by the performing artists.
6. And voter registration booths! Bring ALL your friends and family to register as voters!
7. Rock 4 Rights will be officiated by YB Prof. Dr. P. Ramasamy, Deputy Chief Minister of Penang at 8pm!
The really short version:
Event: Rock 4 Rights
Date: 2 April 2011 (Saturday)
Time: 12:00pm – 12am
Venue: Fort Cornwallis, Penang
Admission: Free to public!
In case you’re still unsure of what’s going on:
- Performances featuring local independent bands
- Poetry reading, street theater, performance arts
- Flea market (Creative handicrafts, memorabilia, fashion apparel, concert merchandise, etc.)
- Food and beverage
- Booths by MyConstitution Campaign, NGOs and civil society groups
- Voter registration drive
…and if you really want to know more or give money: