A total of 2,925 Malaysian citizens in Japan are safe, Deputy Foreign Minister Datuk Richard Riot said.
That was the number of Malaysian citizens which the Malaysian Embassy in Japan managed to contact as at 8am today, he said.
Riot said 120 Malaysian citizens residing in the areas worst-hit by the massive earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan on March 11 had also been taken home.
“One hundred of them had arrived earlier today, while 20 others are expected to arrive tomorrow,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby here.
On the issue of Fukushima nuclear power plant, Richard said based in the report issued by Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco), the electricity supply had been restored to the third and fourth reactors affected by the explosion in the aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami
“With the latest development, Tepco has also confirmed that the condition of the two reactors has been stabilised,” he said.
On the Special Malaysian Research and Rescue Team (Smart) deployed to the disaster-hit areas, Riot said the Japanese government had yet to give the approval for the team to participate in the search and rescue efforts.
On the crisis in Yemen, the deputy minister said 508 Malaysian citizens in Aden and Sana’a had been brought home in stages since March 17.
“The last group of 10 Malaysian citizens will arrive home on Qatar Airways flight tomorrow, while 200 others in Hadramawt, Zabit and Hodaidah will not be returning home as the situation in the cities is not worrying,” he added.