Occupants of the Jalan Cochrane government quarters, who have been ordered to vacate the premises by March 31,today presented a memorandum addressed to the Prime Minister in an attempt to postpone the move until year-end.
In the memorandum for Najib Tun Razak, the Postponement Action Committee representing the residents appealed for an extension of the deadline until replacement quarters are developed as planned.
They also requested for the maintenance of existing quarters to be continued throughout the construction period of the new quarters.
The memorandum was handed over to Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Mohamed Nazri Aziz by Titiwangsa Member of Parliament Dr. Lo’ Lo’ Mohd Ghazali, on behalf of the occupants, at Nazri’s office in the Parliament building, here.
Nazri informed reporters that the memorandum will be submitted to Najib soon
During a news conference at the Parliament lobby, Dr Lo’ Lo’ said according to the memorandum, the occupants, who were promised a new settlement at the Seri Alam Public Housing Project (PPR) in Sungai Besi, had been ordered to move to the Kampung Muhibbah PPR in Puchong two weeks ago.
She said the news disappointed the residents as the Kampung Muhibbah PPR was far from their existing homes and public transport and security could pose a concern for the 400 families, of whom 10 per cent were disabled.
Previously, Property Management Division secretary at the Prime Minister’s Department, Hasnol Zam Zam Ahmad, said the residents would be given until March 31 to move and make way for construction of the new quarters.
He said the division had set up an operations room since Feb 15 to provide residents with transportation for the relocation. The quarters site, he said, would be redeveloped for a high-rise government quarters.
He added that the RM220 million project would be managed by the Armed Forces Fund Board and is expected to be completed in 30 months.