Residents of the former Bukit Jalil estate today condemned Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) for serving on them what they say is an illegal eviction notice.
“This notice is tainted with illegality. Not only does it not state the provisions under which the residents are to be evicted, it is also [unaccompanied by] any court order to [enforce the eviction],” said the residents’ lawyer, Fadiah Nadwa Fikri, during a press conference held at the Bar Council today.
According to the eviction notice served on the residents by DBKL officers on March 1, their homes are to be demolished on March 15.
The residents and their legal representative have written to DBKL about the eviction, but are yet to receive a response.
The ownership status of the land on which the former estate quarters sit remains unclear.
Parti Sosialis Malaysia (PSM)’s secretary-general, S Arutchelvan, claims that the land now belong to a certain Bukit Jalil Development Sdn Bhd, which falls under the corporate structure of the United Engineers Malaysia Berhad (UEM Group).
The chairman for this company, claimed Arutchelvan, is Kamaruzzaman Shariff, the former mayor of Kuala Lumpur.
“Why is DBKL assisting this company with its eviction?” he asked.
The residents have asked for police protection should DBKL proceed with the demolition next Tuesday.
“To date, we have filed 83 police reports regarding this matter, and so far the police have not taken action on even one,” said the estate’s action committee member, Balakrishnan.
“They can’t just evict us forcefully,” he added.
He later claimed that some individuals had arrived at the estate while the press conference was taking place, and were taking pictures of the houses and school.
The residents have previously lodged a police report fearing for their safety from Federal Territories and Urban Well-Being Deputy Minister, M Saravanan.
During the deputy minister’s unannounced visit to the former estate quarters in January, residents claim he was accompanied by a group of intimidating looking men.