Penang’s hidden heritage

The Penang State Secretariat along with Bomba, MPPP, RELA and other agencies held a gotong-royong on April 3, 2010 to clear the area around Crag Hotel atop Penang Hill.

Crag Hotel’s history dates back to 1929 when the place was a hotel. In 1955, the International Uplands School leased the premise. Sometime in mid 1970s Uplands moved out. In 1992, the Crag Hotel was used as one of the locations for the movie Indochine.

Since then, the Crag Hotel and its surrounding buildings have been neglected. Bushes have covered the place. It is now one sad looking, derelict building.

According to the Penang Deputy State Secretary, Muhammad Yusoff, the building belongs to the Penang State Government. About 100 staffs from several departments helped to clear the place. The State has plans to call for tender to turn Crag Hotel into a business premise.

It is sad that the beautiful building and it’s cluster of smaller bungalows with magnificent views and beautiful green surroundings have been let to rot for so many decades.

Video by Chan Lilian, Citizen Journalist

Optimization WordPress Plugins & Solutions by W3 EDGE