Desa Rejang PPR fire: Foul play not ruled out

The police do not rule out foul play in the case of a housewife who died from serious burns sustained in a fire which broke out after a gas stove exploded in her house on the 15th floor of the Desa Rejang People’s Housing project (PPR) in Setapak Jaya on Sunday.

Sentul district police chief ACP Zakaria Pagan said this followed the discovery of two bottles containing petrol in the house.

“We have opened an investigation paper under Section 302 (of the Penal Code) for murder.

“This is not a normal fire because we have found several evidence, like the bottles containing petrol in the house,” he said when contacted by Bernama.

The housewife, Tutty Suri Yaty, 34, who sustained 80 per cent burns on her body, died at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital at 4.59pm, while her husband, Raja Basir Ali Peer Bux, 56, a security guard, sustained burns on the hands and legs.

Zakaria said the woman’s husband was still unconscious at the same hospital.

“The police will record his statement when he has regain consciousness,” he added.

– Bernama