Recently, Penang state government called for a meeting to discuss the the privatization of Penang Port to Seaport Terminal (Johor) Sdn Bhd owned by Syed Mokthar Al-Bukhary.
The stakeholders present comprised of the Malay, Indian, Chinese Chambers of Commerce, Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers, Malaysian International Chamber Of Commerce & Industry (MICCI), The Free Industrial Zone, Penang, Companies’ Association (Frepenca), logistic providers, freight forwarders, importers and exporters, shipping companies and agents as well as employees.
The meeting adopted the following 5 resolutions:
(1) Reject the privatization of Penang Port to an outsider done without consultation with the people of Penang.
(2) Urge the immediate capital dredging costing RM 353 million of the channel to deepen the depth for larger vessels.
(3) Reject the downgrade of Penang Port to a feeder port after privatization and urge that Penang Port be retained as a commercial regional hub.
(4) Urge that Penang ferry service be revamped to be a heritage icon of Penang.
(5) Return Penang Port to the people of Penang run by Penang.