Persatuan Hainan Johor Bahru was established in 1881. It acquired its very first premises at No. 38 Jalan Ibrahim and No. 30, Jalan Tan Hiok Nee respectively for a few hundred ringgit in 1902.
In order to encourage the children of all Hainanese clan to do well in their studies, the association launched its scholarship fund in 1957. In 1960, the association started its ‘Member Welfare Fund’ to help the member of the demised family.
In order to groom more young leaders for the association, the youth division was officially launched on March 21, 1969, under the leadership of Heng Jee Huan.
The woman division of the association was officially launched in 1984 under the leadership of Chang Li Ling.
A grand dinner of 101 tables was organized recently at Restaurant Grand Strait View in conjunction with the 23rd National Youth Conference of the Federation Hainan Association Malaysia and the 130th Anniversary Celebration.
Video by: Christine Leong, Citizen Journalists Malaysia