Road accident decrease linked to ‘public awareness’, says minister

The Transport Ministry believes that road users are now more aware of safety aspects as a result of the various road safety campaigns and enforcement conducted by the relevant authorities.

Its minister Kong Cho Ha said the number of road accidents had dropped this year and he hoped the momentum would continue during the Aidilfitri festive season beginning next week.

He said the various campaigns and operations conducted each year during the festive seasons had begun to show encouraging results.

“For example, during the first half of this year, there were 136 cases of fatal road accidents, a drop of four per cent from the figure in the same period last year, while serious injury cases dropped by 28 per cent and light injury cases, by 9.4 per cent.”

Kong who is also Lumut member of parliament, said this at a news conference after handing over aid to the poor in Taman Samudera Baru, yesterday.

“We want the situation to improve so that we can reach the target of reducing fatal road accidents to 3.1 per cent for every 10,000 vehicles on the road this year,” he said.

The Aidilfitri Festive Season Integrated Road Safety Operation which began on Aug 14, will end on Sept 14. In another development, Kong recorded his appeciation for the KTMB Workers Union (KPPKTMB) for agreeing to drop their work-to-rule plan during the Raya period next week.

The union had earlier warned that would carry out their plan if their demand for the services of KTMB president Dr Aminuddin Adnan to be terminated, was ignored.

Kong said following negotiations, KPPKTMB president Abdul Razak Md Hassan agreed to postpone their work-to-rule action in the interest of train passengers returning to their hometowns to celebrate Hari Raya.

“We will continue with the series of negotiation and we believe the problems raised can be solved amicably. The ministry will study all aspects to resolve the crisis,” he said.

– Bernama